LS replacement tires needed!

For Sale or Wanted Posts here in this forum. Please remember that this forum is for items owned by or items that will be represented by a Forum Member. Keep it on topic.

LS replacement tires needed!

Unread postby silkear » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:26 pm

I am trying to locate a replacement set of tires for my'84 LS. I had very good luck with the Kumho 857, and have +35K on them, but messed up my alignment and basically destroyed two of them. I have been looking for a different tire, like the Continental Vanco8 series, but they only come in a 195/R14 size. Does anyone have another source for the Kumho 857?
Tirerack has no stock(backordered) and the same for Discount Tire. I know that MobilityRV carries them, but they are currently on back order there also.
Maybe the answer to to change rim size, but that will run about $145 per rim.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
John W.
Albuq., NM
'84LS/Chry3.8 "Silkear"
'89LS/Chry3.3
silkear

Unread postby John Niekamp » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:43 pm

Hi John,

I do love my Continental Vanco 8, but they are 15 inch wheels. I assume that in your Dodge conversion you stayed with your Ghotti wheels.

I don't know if your interested, but I do have a set of 14 inch alumumin wheels with excellent Michilan rubber mounted on them.

There are 4 aluminum wheels and one steel spare with new rubber.

John

PS: John, I moved this over to "Market Place" I hope it will get more views for you and someone can give you their input too.
John Niekamp

Unread postby silkear » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:11 pm

Thanks John, but I think I'm going to modify the 14" rims and start using the 16" Freightliner/Dodge Sprinter tires. I plan to keep my rig for another 10 years, so I'm going to be down this road again.

I tried to send a request to a couple of UK members to see if the new Trafic rim will take a 16" tire and fit the older LS bolt pattern, but haven't heard anything back yet. Keeping my fingers crossed on that route.

Thanks again,
John W.
Albuq., NM
'84LS/Chry3.8 "Silkear"
'89LS/Chry3.3
silkear

4 Kumho tires

Unread postby silkear » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:29 pm

Folks, I have 4 Kumho 205R14 that came off my 2 LS's. Two of these are the 857 series(newer) and have about 40% useable tread left on them. they were made in 2002. the other two are the 852 series(older) and are unused. beware these were made in 1999.
I had my rims custom modified to take 16" tires and no longer need these.
they are mounted on the steel rim, not the Gotti aluminum ones.

Here is the good part. I don't need to collect these, so if you pay the cost to unmount and freight from 87122, THEY ARE FREE.

Let me know if anyone is interested. I hate to toss these out.
Thanks!
John W.
Albuq., NM
'84LS/Chry3.8 "Silkear"
'89LS/Chry3.3
silkear

Who needs 205 R14 D rated tires? I found a source!

Unread postby Bill Pieper » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:03 am

Who needs 205 R14 D rated tires? I found a source that has some various 205/80 R14 8Ply Rated D load range tires. 109/107 means 2271 LBS Q=99mph P=93mph.

Kumho 857's 205 R14 109/107Q 8PR LR D, (maybe back ordered?). $93.90

Continental Vanco-8 205 R14C 109/107P 8ply LR D, rated 2271 LBS, summer tires. was 5 in stock. But I think I bought the last 5 of these in existance in the USA at $67.70 each

Maxxis UE168 205 R14C 109/107Q 8PR LR D 2271 LBS 6 stocked. $93.20

Continental Vanco-2 205 R14C 109/107P, (I think maybe LR "C"?) but rated 109/107P = 2271 LBS! 93mph Summer Tires type. 26 on hand in stock, $111.40

I found them by searching for 205/80 R14 at this website:

www.tires-easy.com

phone number 1-877-253-6191
Located in Portland, Oregon.

It cost me $97.70 for shipping 5 tires to San Diego, CA, to give you an idea how much shipping costs from Portland. They sell RoadHazard Ins for about $8.50 to $12 per tire extra.
I got them, and had 5 of them mounted by a local tire dealer, Express Tire, for $81. Plus another $10 for metal valve stems. And, I immediately got a front end alignment for another $50.
Note: this website possibly lists false data for their so-called Partner installers according to 2 different "Discount Tire" Dealers listed who wanted $131 and $174 to mount and balance the 5 tires. The website listed their services at $6 a tire and plus extra $13 for Alloy rims (which many of us have Gotti alum rims). Those 2 Discount Tire dealers were angry that they said they were NOT contacted in any way by this business, and said a lot of customers show up wanting their Internet bought tires mounted and balanced by this internet tire dealers, and they want their labor covered by their prices to mount and balance. Personally, I think they are angry because a lot of people are not buying the tires directly from their francised Discount Tires Stores, instead only wanting the cheapo mounting/balancing package, and they missing out on the big profits of selling the whole tire packages. Oh, bo-ho, guess what, we are not all the stupid average SUCKERS in the public that comes to your store shopping for a tires package, and have found out there are better deals to be had on the internet and other "discount" stores, like Costco, etc. It's called competition, Get over it! Well, this website lists over 20 other "installation partners" within 10 miles of my zip code area, all of them with various different pricing to mount/demount/balance/valve stems, etc. You can get a list of "installation partners" out to 90 miles from any zip code area. And they say to call them if any problems finding a dealer to mount the tires, and they will help. Well, I did find a dealer to do the job, and I am very very satisfied with the almost brand new tires (but the date code is week 38 of yr 2006 ), made in Czech Rep.
Good luck on finding your tires, I found mine and am happy camper now.
Bill Pieper '88 gas/auto LS
Bill Pieper