Front disk brake problem/repair.

This is the place to go to find the answers to the most common questions new Le'Sharo Owners have. This information comes from members who have considerable experience owning, maintaining and operating the Le'Sharo RV.

Front disk brake problem/repair.

Unread postby mloganusda » Sun May 24, 2009 12:10 pm

Just returned from my 3K mile trip to Grand Canyon from Tennessee and noticed that the inside of the disk brakes are not shiney from use. The disk brakes stop the MH but take some pressure to slow it down and stop. Could the outside pad be working and not the inside pad? I am not at home yet and will be removing the wheels to inspect the brake pads for wear and see if the inside pad is not moving/working. Has anyone experienced this problem and what was your repair? This MH sat for ~20 years with no use.
Mike Logan
Formerly 1986 LeSharo 2.2 gas; 04' Rialta
Now 2017 Trend
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda

Articles: 7

Front Disk Brake Problems/Repair

Unread postby mloganusda » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:59 pm

After returning from my 4K mile (correct milage) trip to Arizona, I removed the disk brake pads and cleaned them up so that they would slide easier. Pads were not worn very much (11K miles) and so I put them back on but greased the sliding metal parts so that everything would work correctly. The MH is still sluggist to stop, but at ~6,000 pounds, what can I expect.
Mike Logan
Now 2017 Trend
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda

Unread postby Alan Bergman » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:43 pm

Hi Mike,
Assuming you think you have the front brakes working properly there is another test you can do. This is to ascertain that the vacuum booster is doing its thing:
Take a short run, say at 25 mph, hit the brakes hard and get an idea what it takes to stop. Then, remove the vacuum hose from the canister and somehow cap it off so there is no vacuum leaking to the engine. Then do the stop test again and see if you encounter a great deal of difference to the effort it takes to stop. If you don't then you have a canister problem. If it takes a whole lot more effort to stop then you know it is working.
Also: on just about all brakes with a vacuum canister, pump the brakes several times with the engine not running (this releases any residual vacuum from the canister) and then hold the pedal down. While doing this , start the engine. With a properly functioning canister you should feel the brake pedal go down a bit further as the vacuum builds up and assists your foot pressure.
Hope this helps,
Al
My "Cottage Car" is a 1985 Lesharo with a 3.8 Buick V6
Alan Bergman

Front Disk Brake Problems/Repair

Unread postby mloganusda » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:15 am

Alan; Thanks for the information and I will try this procedure soon. Most of my summer trips are over until about October, when I travel to Mississippi for family reunion. Next project is to replace the gas tank hoses. On an other note, I was checking Craigslist for LS and found several LS's in different major cities for $450 to $6K in various stages of parts to running. I have had the repair manual for 83' to 86' scanned into PDF and plan on selling my extra set of blue books to anyone needing a set. Not sure if I should sell on EBay or just advertise on all of the LS sites. More on this later.
Mike Logan
Now 2017 Trend
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda