gas furnace fan

This is the place to go to find the answers to the most common questions new Le'Sharo Owners have. This information comes from members who have considerable experience owning, maintaining and operating the Le'Sharo RV.

Unread postby Rick H » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:30 pm

Mike,

It was a lovely -8C (18F) today with a cool night coming of -20C (-4F) here in Southern Ontario. The driveway was cleared twice today. Hopefully the snow will take a break for a while.
Info for your heater, look up a few posts, the LeSharo Owners group in the file section is some good copies of the typical furnace.
You mentioned your propane tank valve leaks. Does it leak only when going from fully closed to fully open? The valves that are used are what is called a double seated valve which means there is no or little pressure at the valve stem, the part where the valve handle is connected, when either fully open or fully closed. When the valve is in between those positions there is full pressure on the valve stem. What is happening is the valve stem packing is leaking and would need to be repacked or replaced.

Hope that helps understand what is happening.
Rick and Cathy from Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
88 LeSharo 2.2L gas auto

We drive in 'NANAZBUS'.
Our grandchildren love it.
Rick H

Gas Furnance Fan?

Unread postby mloganusda » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:59 am

The leaking of the valve stem is like you stated and what Camping World charged me $50 to "test" my gas system. I knew the valve was leaking and that is why I wanted Camping World to check out the whole system. This is as far as they got and then stopped because of the leaking. The total charge was to be $100, but they "felt" they should only charge me half price since they only got that far (5 minuets worth of work) with the inspection. They informed me that the valve needed to be repaired and to replace the regulator also just to be on the safe side. I purchased the repair valve and regulator ($49) that day and have been running the furnance full time to burn off the gas inside of the tank. The repair of the valve is simple but the regulator is a 2 stage unit and just slightly longer than current one. I will need to adjust the copper pipes off of the regulator to fit the 90* turn on exit. I am waiting for the gas to empty and warmer weather to work on the unit. Also received my replacement shock/springs and will work on later. I am trying to prepair for a Feb. 13th. trip with the "NOTOWBAGO" group at Panama Beach City, Flordia. Later :)
Mike Logan
Formerly 1986 LeSharo 2.2 gas; 04' Rialta
Now 2017 Trend
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda

Articles: 7

Gas Furnance Fan?

Unread postby mloganusda » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:45 pm

Well, today being nice and sunny and "warm" I took the gas furnance out to find what was the problem with the vibaration. This MH had been stored for ~20 years and I have found several mud dobber dirt nest in and around the MH inside the engine compartment and underneight body. I should have know that they would get inside of the hearter with the open ports exposed and not covered up. I removed the outside air intake and exhaust cover so I could remove the heater. As a precaution, I removed the 12V fuse to prevent electrical problems. I took off the cover, used slip joint pliers to hold the gas valve and used a wrench to unscrew the gas line. There was enought wire to the heater that I could remove the whole unit without disconnecting. After removing the two bottom screws that held the unit to the frame, I slid the unit out. I found mud nest inside the exhaust port deep inside and I removed the fan cover which exposed the squirrel cage. There it was, mud nest built inside the cage and around the cover. This was what made the vibration, as the cage was out of balance. I cleaned cage and pipes and had to turn the unit upright to shake out the loose dirt that was inside the burner area. It took a lot of shaking to remove this dirt and also vacuum cleaner help. After cleaning, I reassembled the unit and reinstalled. The unit still had a small vibration and I made an L bracket and attached to the back of the unit and anchored to wood frame next to heater. This reduced the vibration to almost nothing and now the gas furnance runs great. Now all I have to do is get the propane valve torked and some gas to check for leaks. Later.
Mike Logan
1986 Lesharo 2.2 gas
Smyrne, TN
Mike Logan
Now 2017 Trend
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda

Unread postby John Niekamp » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:19 pm

Sneaky little suckers, aren't they?
Former owner of a 1989 Le'Sharo with 1999 Buick 3800 Series II conversion :(
John Niekamp

Gas Valve/Propane Tank

Unread postby mloganusda » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:39 pm

After burning off all the propane gas inside the tank, I removed the on/off handle. I then unscrewed the regulator from the valve assembly (left hand thread) and then worked the regulator and copper gas line to outside of the door. I then used two wrenches to disconnect the regulator from the copper gas line (standard right hand thread). I then unscrewed the gas valve from the metal tank. Remember the valve is a lefthanded thread and must be turned clockwise to remove. I then screwed in the new valve to hand tight until I could find a tork wrench that measured in inch pounds. The valve must be torked to 325-375 inch pounds. I later found that inch pounds converts to foot pound by dividing inch pounds by 12. Thus 350 inch pounds = 29 foot pounds. The new two stage regulator was longer than orginal, so I removed the shorter input fitting and 90* elbow from the old regulator and reinstalled onto the new regulator. This made the new two stage regulator just slightly longer than the old one but able to install with no problems. I installed the new regulator in the reverse order by connecting the copper gas line to the 90* elbow first and then pushed unit back into the space and connected to gas tank. I later torked the gas valve to 29'pounds and had 1/2 # of gas filled so I could check for gas leaks using soapy water. I found no leaks and had the propane tank fill to full. The leak test gague did not move for a least 2 days, meaning that I had no leaks to speak of. I plan on installing a LP monitor later.

Mike Logan
1986 LeSharo 2.2 gas
Smyrna, TN
Mike Logan
Now 2017 Trend
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda

Unread postby DLKIRK » Fri May 22, 2009 4:01 pm

Heater does not do anything - Just joined the website and downloaded the manual but didn't address a ot of things - great if you want to rebuild the engine - anyway - my heater does not work or come on - stove working and plenty of propane - where does the start signal come from - I am guessing the thermosat? I am looking for electrical schematics - any good place to find wiring diagrams?
RESTORING MY PHASAR SAME AS LESHARO I THINK - JUST BOUGHT IT
DLKIRK

Unread postby Rick H » Fri May 22, 2009 4:39 pm

Try this link, it has several manuals. Wouldn't hurt to join that group either, there is a lot of good info out there.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Les ... s/Manuals/
Rick and Cathy from Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
88 LeSharo 2.2L gas auto

We drive in 'NANAZBUS'.
Our grandchildren love it.
Rick H

Unread postby danielrv8 » Sat May 23, 2009 12:53 pm

There is a switch mounted to the bottom of the thremostat that turns on the furnace.

If you turn up the thermostat and turn on the switch (hard to see), then you should hear the fan start about ten seconds later. After a minute or so, you will hear a small woosh and you can see the flame if you bend over and look directly at the panel covering the furnace.

If propane has not been near the furnace for a while, you might have to cycle it a few times before it starts.

Otherwise, someone might have turned off the shutoff valve for the furnace. You have to remove the cover and you will see the shutoff valve. Good luck figuring out which way is on!

Hope this helps.

Daniel, 86 gas LeSharo that at least the furnace works in!
danielrv8

Previous