Rust Concerns

This is the place to go to find the answers to the most common questions new Le'Sharo Owners have. This information comes from members who have considerable experience owning, maintaining and operating the Le'Sharo RV.

Rust Concerns

Unread postby Larryp » Fri May 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Looking at Lesharos to buy, I have found some with rust, particularly on the front door sills. Isn't this a unibody and how critical is rocker rust on these type of vehicles? What has been your experience with that cancer?

Larryp :?:
Larryp

Unread postby populuxe » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:54 am

Critical? I'm sure it would drive OK. Maybe you can patch it up? Sorry I don't have experience with door sill rust. Maybe you want to keep looking. They are not hard to find. I lucked out and no rust; an 88 for $5,500. I didn't see any and my check of the bottom near the suspension was clean. If you are paying a premium I'd walk away. I don't think I'd even want a cheap one that's rusted. You will have a hard time selling it if you don't like it. You can always change mechanical parts but a uni-body? There is always more rust that you can't see. I drive older vehicles--I know. There is one (1987) near me in Green Bay, Wisconsin for less that $5K. At a dealer's lot. That would be an easy drive for you. It is the owners RV. It's very nice, looked at it while I was working so didn't take a real close look.

Now I need to get out there with an S.O.S. pad and take care of some tarnishing on the tin wheel well moldings. Never ends.
Chris Christensen Wisconsin, USA
88 LeSharo
01 Villager minivan
80 Vespa
populuxe

Unread postby John Niekamp » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:25 am

I concur with what Populuxe said. I can deal with anything such as dull paint, mechanical and any other cosmetics, but RUST, once it gets in it hard to keep from going on through the body andn like you said these are uni-bodied, so that makes it really bad and hard to repair.

I paid $5,500 for mine and flew from St. Louis to Baltimore, MD to get it and it was in almost perfect shape inside nad out.

They are out there, just have to bide your time and find that perfect one.

John Niekamp
Former owner of a 1989 Le'Sharo with 1999 Buick 3800 Series II conversion :(
John Niekamp

Thanx

Unread postby Larryp » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:40 am

I agree with both of you too. Thanks for the responses. I have been watching for one for some time, and I am sure one will pop up with no major rust problems. Could you PM me with that dealers name in Green Bay, it may be worth a weekend drive to see. I would call him for additional info.
Great forum...thanks. I have previosuly owned years ago a half converted Centuri with the double doors on the rear. Had everything except the rear dinette, though the shower was not plumbed. Was used as a utility work van. Kinda a strange combo.
Thanx,
Larryp 8)
Larryp

Unread postby John Niekamp » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:22 pm

LarryP,

On the Le'sharo ownner's Yahoo group there is a gentleman that has a 1988 Le'Sharo for sale for $5,500. You mihgt check on that sounds good from his description.

Here is his posting:

"for sale

1988 lesharo 2.2 gas auto 33.7k original miles, excellent condition in and out. Needs nothing, ready to go....will sell for 5.5k....jim in Maine"

Here is the direct URL.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Les ... ssage/8366
Former owner of a 1989 Le'Sharo with 1999 Buick 3800 Series II conversion :(
John Niekamp

I have...

Unread postby Larryp » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:56 pm

I have emailed him. I check that board and this weekly. Thanks for your help. :D
Larryp