1988 will not stay running

This is the place to go to find the answers to the most common questions new Le'Sharo Owners have. This information comes from members who have considerable experience owning, maintaining and operating the Le'Sharo RV.

1988 will not stay running

Unread postby ejeff » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:42 am

Hi, My Lesharo ran fine until I ran it out of gas. Now it will start for a few seconds an the dies. If I start WOT the engine will start and race run rough for a few seconds longer and then die. Do you think a plugged fuel filter can cause this problem? Thanks Ed
Ed Jeffress
Madrid, Iowa
ejeff

Re: 1988 will not stay running

Unread postby Commkruge » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:29 am

That would be the first thing on my list. on a tank pushing thirty years old running them empty is not a good idea. Its possible the net in the tank itself is blocked solid as well but more likely the fuel filter itself. Old tanks wind up with alot of crud floating around inside with all the years of sitting these units tend to go through you likely have the sludge laying in the tank.
89 Original Bendix
3.3 87 Lesharo in Northern Iowa
Commkruge

Unread postby Wanderer » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:41 pm

The filter is located on the output side of the fuel pump, this presents a problem when you run low or out of fuel because the debris at the bottom of the gas tank fills the fuel pump inlet and the pump can not build sufficent pressure to keep the engine running. You should remove the pump and try to clear out the debris form the pump and gas line then install a fuel filter on the line going into the pump to prevent this from happening again.

Anyone can get debris into their gas tank as most of it comes from the gasoline station itself, these days many of them do not replace the pump hose filters, they just remove them. This is especially true for older gasoline stations and those with the cheapest gasoline.
Last edited by Wanderer on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lou
Life is hard by the yard; but by the inch it’s a cinch.
1990 Winnebago LeSharo "Wanderer"
Chrysler 3.3L Extended roof
Delray Beach Fl
Wanderer

Unread postby ejeff » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Thanks for the tips!
Ed Jeffress
Madrid, Iowa
ejeff