What's the difference?

This is the place to go to find the answers to the most common questions new Le'Sharo Owners have. This information comes from members who have considerable experience owning, maintaining and operating the Le'Sharo RV.

What's the difference?

Unread postby Chris-R » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:58 am

Hi all,
Uk based newb here - just purchased a Lesharo TD project and wondering what the difference is between a Lesharo, Phasar and Itasca. Pointers much appreciated - loving this forum already!
Chris-R

Re: What's the difference?

Unread postby Terry » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:09 am

Largely speaking, I would say no difference. The Itasca is the Phasar, so there are only the two units, Phasar and Lesharo. All made by Winnebago, so just consider them a slightly different trim package.

Of course here in the states the diesel motors were only in the older original models. I'm not exactly sure when that happened but I suspect that after 1985, all the units were petrol only.
1984 Lesharo, 3.8 Chrysler, Plano, Texas, USA
Terry
Site Admin

Articles: 8

Unread postby BANDIT2 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:32 am

Chris-R wrote:Hi all,
Uk based newb here - just purchased a Lesharo TD project and wondering what the difference is between a Lesharo, Phasar and Itasca. Pointers much appreciated - loving this forum already!

Now thats spooky :lol:
I'm UK based [Shropshire] and my names Chris Ransome :shock: :shock:
Nearly finished my Lesharo TD restoration and know lots about these things now-need any advice?
Chris
Restoring a 1986 Lesharo TD[now finished and on the road! check out the restoration]http://lesharorv.com/viewtopic.php?t=1713
If my posts seem short and to the point-its because I type with one finger. Running sweet on home made bio.
Chris [in the UK]
BANDIT2

Unread postby Chris-R » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:45 am

Hi Chris - as you've nearly finished yours, can you make a start on mine..? :)

PS. Just realised what's spooky - the Chris-R thing. That IS spooky! :shock:
Chris-R

Unread postby BANDIT2 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:16 pm

The biggest problem we face in the uk is rust-i used four sheets of 8'x4' 1.6mm steel to repair mine-8weeks of solid fabrication and welding.Whats yours like around the windscreen? Can you weld? If I had to pay someone to do it,I would have had to scrap it,but i don't so gritted my teeth and got stuck in.Where about are you in this once fine land?
Restoring a 1986 Lesharo TD[now finished and on the road! check out the restoration]http://lesharorv.com/viewtopic.php?t=1713
If my posts seem short and to the point-its because I type with one finger. Running sweet on home made bio.
Chris [in the UK]
BANDIT2

Unread postby Chris-R » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:57 am

That's a lot of welding! Mine's pretty solid underneath, but there's rust in all four wheel arches and front wings - I'm hoping still just about at the affordable level for repairs as I haven't welded since school!

The screen - well, there's evidence of some previous botchery so we'll see how bad it is when it comes out.

I've posted pics of all the rust we can see so far...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/69095447@N ... 931347019/

Chris-R

Unread postby Rick H » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:09 am

Chris,
Good pictures. Once you remove the outer skirts along the bottom, you may find more work there as well. Keep the pictures and progress coming.
Rick
Rick and Cathy from Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
88 LeSharo 2.2L gas auto

We drive in 'NANAZBUS'.
Our grandchildren love it.
Rick H

Unread postby BANDIT2 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:09 pm

Yeah, remove those lower panels,rear arches and the plastic front arches,then remove the nose cone and front bumper and finally the front wings.You will find a lot of debris/mud trapped especially behind the front wings[thats why they rot out at the bottom]. Once you've got those panels off you will see a lot more rot I'm sure :cry:
Those lower panels are not structial and can be repaired with fibreglass,the sills proper are behind them,although the inner sills can still be inspected from underneath.
The aliminium steps below the front doors also disguise rot in the lower outer sill.
Check for rot above and below the gutter above both doors and around the windscreen,open the bonnet [sorry-hood :lol: ] and have a good look at the area where the back of the dash/'bottom of the windscreen meet-a few inches back from where the wiper spindles protrude.Water collects there[inside the cab] and rots out.
Remove the panel behind the toilet pan and have a good look there and also from underneath in the same area, the sewer flush pipework'fitting cracks inside and leaks water into that void which then rots out. The floor area surrounding the propane tank also suffers and spreads along underneath the fresh water tank around the inner arch and underneath the kitchen unit.
Rear spring hangers back to the rear crossmember also suffer. Looking at your pics, it certainly looks like one of the better ones that I've seen so hopefully a quick restoration :P
Chris [in the UK]
BANDIT2

Unread postby Chris-R » Wed May 02, 2012 4:07 am

Thanks for the tips Bandit2 - very useful. We'll have the thing up on ramps by the weekend hopefully, so might have more of a clue as to the extent of corrosion.

First job will be a cambelt (no service history!) and then a 'speculative' MoT test...
Chris-R

Unread postby Chris-R » Wed May 02, 2012 4:09 am

Rick H wrote:Chris,
Good pictures. Once you remove the outer skirts along the bottom, you may find more work there as well. Keep the pictures and progress coming.
Rick

Hi Rick - yes, I think there will be a little more than is evident. Hopefully not too much. Will keep taking pictures anyway.
Chris-R

Next

Return to Le'Sharo FAQ's