Companion Seats as a bunk?

This is the place to go to find the answers to the most common questions new Le'Sharo Owners have. This information comes from members who have considerable experience owning, maintaining and operating the Le'Sharo RV.

Companion Seats as a bunk?

Unread postby skyeyedoc » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:43 am

I have an '86 LeSharo (GM LeSabre conversion), and have never made good use of the companion seats area in this vehicle. I have fiddled with trying to recline and arrange those seats to accomodate a sleeper, but they simply don't seem to be designed to do so in this model. Can someone please explain how the '86 companion seats can be arranged, with or without the front seats, to comfortably accomodate a third sleeper in this coach? I'm lazy enough to hope that it's possible to use them for a sleeper, as is, if only someone would tell me the trick of it.

If they can't be used in that fashion, I'm seriously considering pulling them out, and designing a bunk/storage unit for that space, conserving the two front seats, of course. (I have seen Trafic's fantastic raised-roof conversion, but I'm looking for a smaller project than that. :-)

Thanks for any information. Pictures are especially appreciated!

Elliott
skyeyedoc

Re: Companion Seats as a bunk?

Unread postby Commkruge » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:37 am

Second row seat
To fold down lift handle under front of the seat
While raising the seat pull toward the front of coach while pushing down on back rest.
This will lay it out flat. Notice extra cushion on either side of the seats. If you dont have these you can likely find them by placing a want ad here.
Pull studs in side of seat out about 1/2"
Line up studs with slots on the bottom of extra cushion
Now you can sleep 4.
Hope this helps. If you are referring to the van seats (driver and passenger) these can be swiveled to make and extra cot but not very comfortable. swivel drivers seat where the back is against the door and swivel passenger seat where the back rest is pointed to the drivers seat. recline passenger seat and you have another half way spot. may work for a small child....
89 Original Bendix
3.3 87 Lesharo in Northern Iowa
Commkruge

Unread postby skyeyedoc » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:13 am

Wow! Thank you for the quick and helpful reply! These photos explain why I was so mystified by the problem. I'd seen photos of this kind of bed set up, but not how it got that way. These seats are clearly more versatile than the swivel post seats my '86 has.

Here's a question: where do the central cushions stow when the bed is not opened up? And have you ever seen this kind of seat offered for sale, either after-market as a generic RV mod, or used, out of someone's broken-down LeSharo?

Thanks again for taking the time to show me these!

Elliott

Edit added: Ah, I went back to your pics, and found the stow-points for the central cushions. Cool! I'd love to find these parts for my camper!
skyeyedoc

Unread postby Commkruge » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:12 pm

I would put a want ad in the market place area. I would bet Larry Shoppe may be able to assist you in parts.
89 Original Bendix
Commkruge

Unread postby mloganusda » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:59 am

The extra cushions store between the camper wall and the rear seats. I have modified my rear passenger seat to line up with the front passenger seat to make a chase lounge, where my wife sleeps (she is 5'2" tall). She says that if we take along our little dog, it is too crowed in the back dining/bed area for all of us to sleep in. By moving the rear passenger seat toward the middle, about 4-6", I can not use the cushions in the middle, I have them stored in my house. They are mauve colored to match the rest of the uphositery.

Mike Logan
Formerly 1986 LeSharo 2.2 gas; 04' Rialta
Now 2017 Trend
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda

Articles: 7

Unread postby flyingkilt » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:28 pm

Hey Mike, how do you get those front seats to swivel like your pictures show, above? Are there certain years or models that only do that? I have a 1985 LeSharo. Are its front seats capable of being swiveled all the way around like that?

Max Guiley
Max Guiley
Chiloquin, Oregon
1985 GM-Converted LeSharo with Buick 3800 V6 and 4T60 FWD Transaxle
1986 All-Wheel-Drive LeSharo on GMC Safari Lifted-Chassis with 350 Chevy V8
flyingkilt

Unread postby Commkruge » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:17 am

Max,
There is a lever on the bottom of the seat where the seat mates with the riser. It is on the right side as you are sitting in the seat. press down and this unlocks the swivel. From what I can see all Lesharos and Phasers had this option. This is a different lever from the one under the seat that moves it front to back...
89 Original Bendix
Commkruge

Unread postby mloganusda » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:37 am

On my 86' LS, the lever to turn the seat needs to be moved to the right to release the seat. I thought that the drivers seat would not turn but you have to struggle with it. First, release the hand brake and move the seat forward to clear the hand brake while turning, 2nd, release the seat to turn with the right arm rest in the down position, 3rd, turn the seat to the left and lean the seat forward to clear the steering wheel, 4th, move the seat back enough to clear the side of the door frame while turning the seat, 5th, move the seat toward the passenger seat just enough to mate up, 6th, lean the driver seat back until it touches the sterring wheel and you are done. I only turn my driver seat around when I will be parked for several days because of the time involved turning it around. I have to use a small pillow or something in the lower area of the seat to support my back as the back does not recline like the passenger seat. This way I can enjoy watching TV with my legs streached out. Also a small child could sleep in this space. Because I have moved my rear passenger seat more to the middle to line up with the front seat, I can not use the middle cushions to make the small double bed. Also for more room I have removed the arm rest from both back seats and the front passenger seat. To do this, raise the arm rest up, push in against the spring and turn clockwise to release and pull straight out.
Mike Logan
Now 2017 Trend
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda

Unread postby skyeyedoc » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:47 am

Thanks, Mike, for your input and photos, too.

If I understand your notes, it sounds like if you are docked for a number of days that you enjoy reversing both front seats, like a pair of chaise loungers facing aft, and I'm guessing you have an entertainment system that's easy to view in that direction. Could you post a couple of pictures that give a wide-view of that configuration, taken from way back looking forward? I'm going to try your notes out, and see if these post mount seats can be configured to do the same thing, if only on the passenger side.

I was playing around with it last Sunday, and found that with my post-mount companion seats I could turn the (vehicle-side) left one so it faces its window, slide it fully toward the window, and recline it fully so that it can meet the right-side seat meets it when turned to face it, and slid fully forward, into the aisle. With the right-side companion seat fully reclined, it makes a long, narrow, and ridiculously bumpy "cot", but with three or four big pillows, you can level it out enough to maybe get a fair night's rest on it. I'm sure I've looked at this before, but discarded the idea of using it as such back then. The kids are grown up and gone now, and this might work to take a fishing buddy with me some time, so I guess it's worth knowing. Not elegant, but workable, if you are stuck with these post-seats. The next time I fiddle with it, I'll take some pics, and try adding them to this post.

Thanks to everyone for your input. If someone has a line on a pair of the convertable bed companion seats, point me at 'em.

Elliott
skyeyedoc

Unread postby mloganusda » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:42 pm

Elliott, here are photos of how the front seats trun around to make two chase lounges. On the driver side, the lounge is not as long as the passengert side because the seat back does not recline much because of the steering wheel. My wife sleeps on the passenger lounge and she is 5'2".
Mike Logan
Now 2017 Trend
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda

Next