Source for Tires

This is the place to go to find the answers to the most common questions new Le'Sharo Owners have. This information comes from members who have considerable experience owning, maintaining and operating the Le'Sharo RV.

Source for Tires

Unread postby RJ in CDA » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:53 am

What's a good source for tires for my '90 LS? I'm still running the stock 14" wheels. I hesitate to go to my local tire store for fear that they won't really know what I need.
Rick
Rathdrum, Idaho
1990 LeSharo, 2.2 Gas, Auto
RJ in CDA

Re: Source for Tires

Unread postby Rick H » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:48 pm

Rick & Char,
I went to my local truck tire place, because the passenger tire places didn't have the right tires, and they were able to get Handcook 195/75R14 in a Load Range 'D'. The 205s just are not available or if they are, it is rare.
I could have purchased the same on line, but still would need to have them installed and pay to get rid of the old tires, have the new ones balanced and whatever else was needed. Dealing with the local guy costs more, but they handle the warranty and if there are any tire problems, they take care of it rather then trying to work with an online dealer.
Hope it helps,
Rick
Rick and Cathy from Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
88 LeSharo 2.2L gas auto

We drive in 'NANAZBUS'.
Our grandchildren love it.
Rick H

Unread postby Terry » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:07 pm

There seems to be a lot of options searching online. I would probably research there as well as historical tire discussions on the site and come up with a good tire and then order 5 of them.

I will probably be needing to do just that soon with my new project. It has a mismatch and a couple of trailer tires on it. The modification has the wheels close to the fender so I might benefit from a slightly smaller diameter tire myself.

I also need one or two spare steel rims if anybody has one around.

205/75R15
Blackwall
Load Range D: 8 Ply
Usually Ships in 24 Hours
323102105 $91.67

I would spend time and find a source where you can use a coupon somehow. Sears can get tires. Check your local tire shops for "Buy3, get 1 free" or other deals and see if they can order this specific type.
1984 Lesharo, 3.8 Chrysler, Plano, Texas, USA
Terry
Site Admin

Articles: 8

Unread postby Rick H » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:14 pm

Terry,
Those tires you have a link for are trailer tires, not a good choice.
Rick
88 LeSharo 2.2L gas auto

We drive in 'NANAZBUS'.
Rick H

Unread postby Terry » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:55 pm

Please expand on that for myself and anyone else. Why are trailer tires not a good choice for our heavy rv? From what I have been told, they are specifically designed with a stiffer sidewall for load bearing.

I did up a tire calculator page if it is useful to anyone.
Terry
Site Admin

Unread postby Rick H » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:36 pm

Terry,
Check this link, http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTr ... eFacts.dos
Basically the sidewalls of a trailer tire cannot handle the stresses of turning and traction applications. Something to do with the construction method, I read that on a different article.
Note the link, look at the bottom, it is done by the same tire company that you are looking at using.
Hope it helps,
Rick
88 LeSharo 2.2L gas auto

We drive in 'NANAZBUS'.
Rick H

Unread postby Commkruge » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:24 am

Not to get a tire battle started again but my coach too had carlisle trailer tires on it when I bought it. They were new with only a few hundred miles on them. My coach handled like it was on 4 marshmellows. Any side wind and I was fighting for control. I got rid of those tires and have a set of yokahoma tires load rated d and the LS handles perfect in any condition... The side wall rating of a trailer tire is C which though they state can handle the weight of our units have no side wall stability. The tire side wall rolls very easy which makes for a hair raising drive. Do yourself a favor make sure the tires are a true D rated. Dont put your family, yourself and others in danger to save a few bucks! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Commkruge on Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
89 Original Bendix
3.3 87 Lesharo in Northern Iowa
Commkruge

Unread postby Terry » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:09 am

I like to hear about these real world examples. I dont think people chime in enough to get the info out there.

So more on tires:

Is a load D radial tire always 8 ply? And what exactly does a "ply" mean in real world terms anyway? For a heavy load, I would expect that the sidewall strength is of more importance for us in the end?
Terry
Site Admin