Inherited a LeSharo Been Sitting for 3 years

This forum is to post any questions or problems relating to the ORIGINAL Renault Le'Sharo such as Mechanical, Electrical, gas 2.2 Engine, Transmission, Drive-Train, Brakes, etc.

Inherited a LeSharo Been Sitting for 3 years

Unread postby tpkr85@gmail.com » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:50 am

So...I inherited a 1988 LeSharo in Oct 2018 from my late father-in-law. He stored it in some acreage adjacent to a trailer park he owned. It's been sitting for three years. Beginning August 1st I have three months off work; it's been my plan to get the RV roadworthy and make the round trip Tucson to Kansas City to visit my daughter.

I have no experience working on RV's per se...but I am a decent auto mechanic preferring to do my repairs and maintenance.

Here's what I found in the LeSharo:

1. Vandals struck breaking the large rear window, side window (top pane) and driver's side mirror.

2. Replaced the two batteries and the engine would start with a prime only. Determined the Bosch Fuel Pump was shot and replaced it with RockAuto substitute. The vehicle started but ran very rough with little power.

3. Retrieved a gas sample: turns out to be foul-smelling varnish.

4. Drop[ping the gas tank is extremely difficult because water, dirt and 30 years have done their duty melding the tank strap bolts into one. I was able to remove one strap this morning and hopefully will have the tank dropped, cleaned and installed by weeks end.

5. I have removed the fuel rail, ordered new injectors and fuel filter. I also ordered a beefier fuel pump...the one I installed is likely compromised from pumping the varnish/fuel.

I have not found any other gross mechanical issues. I wonder though; the fuse box/panel looks like a spaghetti bowl with a bunch of wires unsecured. I'm hoping that's an artifact of a previous owner/mechanic.

I'm a little concerned about having a 4 cylinder engine on an RV but it's adequate I'm told.

Other than cleaning the fuel system and regular maintenance what should I examine closely before departing to the great midwest? Thank you for any/all comments/suggestions.
tpkr85@gmail.com

Re: Inherited a LeSharo Been Sitting for 3 years

Unread postby IdahoBob » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:16 pm

/
These are old trucks, underneath, and remember that when working on them.

REPLACE ALL FLUIDS AND FILTERS - All Of Them
This should be the first thing you do to any used car, especially one that's been sitting.
Oil change, and a Coolant flush is only the start.
Get new fuel and air filters
Replace and Flush the brake/clutch fluid - put in the Higher Temp DOT 4 as it isn't that much more, and I was stranded 3 times because I didn't do it. (Clutch fluid would "vapor lock" from all the water it absorbed while sitting.)

REPACK REAR BEARING
The rear axle and it's bearings are marginal for the weight of the rig. Repack them once a year. (That reminds me..... <G>)

REPLACE THE TIRES
I've never had a blowout in my 45 years of driving.
Until the first big trip in Margot, my '84 Turbo Diesel - That day I had two and got stranded where I couldn't' even get out of my rig!

I was actually towed while still behind the front seat!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwln7NvR2bTD2i35c7nXNUJCOeuOKAk9n

Just because "they look good" doesn't mean they won't blow. Mine looked great, but the rig had been sitting for some years before I got ahold of her, and it nearly killed me.

The main problem is that 14" tires, that actually can handle the weight are hard to come by, and will most likely be ordered. I had buy an under rated tire just to limp 60 miles home... $130 on top of the almost $500 tow.

I now have a set of Hankook Kontrol LT's and they are great. At 65 psi, they are a bit hard, but handle much better, handle the weight without complaint, and even have lower rolling friction than the original ones.
I'm able to go 55 - 60 mph on the flats with zero boost from the turbo, where before I needed about 3 psi of boost to do the same.

FLUSH ALL THE TANKS
Don't forget to flush the House tanks. Go though sterilization steps with the Fresh Water tank, as well as a good flush of the Black Water, and (if you have one, I don't) Grey Water Tank.

(I tried to flush mine, only to find out that the Shower Drain was my "grey water tank".... DO NOT ASK ME HOW I FOUND OUT..... sigh....)

SO Tpkr85, Welcome To LeSharo Life !!!
These can be the sweetest little rigs.

Sure they are old, and need every little bit of TLC, but they can be the best place in the world - Anywhere you are.

Only 20 ft long, I love to be able to park anywhere, and not be "that guy" who has to take up 6 spaces in the back with his Class-A.

My Margot isn't fast, won't go off road, but with 600W solar, and a full bed in the back, takes me where I want to go, and burns about as much Diesel getting there, than what I would burn my other cars getting to the same place.
. Mark (IdahoBob) - (and my 84 TD LS "Margot")
IdahoBob

Unread postby IdahoBob » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:07 am

/
A photo biograph of why you might want to replace your Tires...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jCn3zfD801UYlBrI3

My "Trip" to the Eclipse....
IdahoBob

Unread postby mloganusda » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:34 am

It would be best if you replaced the timing belt, hoses, etc. after sitting for so long. To get to the timing belt you have to remove the front end. I also have a manual on (CD) if you are interested. Send me an email if interested. I have lots of history and photos when I owned an 86.
Mike Logan
Formerly 1986 LeSharo 2.2 gas; 04' Rialta
Now 2017 Trend
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda

Articles: 7

Unread postby mloganusda » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:49 am

Search on site for service manuals. They are listed under this post.
http://www.lesharorv.com/documents/Winnebago_Service_Manual_1983-1986.pdf
Mike Logan
Formerly 1986 LeSharo 2.2 gas; 04' Rialta
Now 2017 Trend
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda

Articles: 7

Unread postby IdahoBob » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:18 am

/
Yes, I forgot Belts and hoses, definitely.

On the house side:

REPLACE ALL INTERROR LIGHTS WITH LED's

Did so on mine with 1W leds. It was a little dimmer, but pulled a small fraction of the power the old incandescent ones. A LOT LESS. After I added my solar, I measured the power used with all the house lights on, including the two in the bathroom and it was almost as much as One of the old filament lights!

Then go out and Enjoy your new toy!

After you had it a while, and find all things you want to improve, Tell Us!

Mine is a long work in progress, with upgrades all the time. (Things like a new ceiling, 600W solar, 300AH AGM's, and more for serious boondocking.)
IdahoBob