Winterizing the LeSharo

This is the place to go to find the answers to the most common questions new Le'Sharo Owners have. This information comes from members who have considerable experience owning, maintaining and operating the Le'Sharo RV.

Re: Winterizing the LeSharo

Unread postby Bill Pieper » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:30 am

I'm not trying to brag or make anyone to be jealous, but what about all of us Lesharo owners who live in states that have a mild winter, never gets down to freezing, or maybe only a couple of days of below freezing weather, should they do some partial amount of winterizing their Lesharo? I live in San Diego, California, where the winters are usually mild (except for Al Gore's emminant Global Warming... er Climate Change/global freezing...) sometimes it gets down past freezing at early morning before the sun comes up, frost and ice on car windshields and the yard grass whorefrost, for a few days or weeks of the winter here. I was wondering if during those colder mornings when it does drop below freezing, if we should worry and also do something about prep for freezing pipes and valves in our LS's? Does it take just one or several days of freezing cold to affect the water pipes in the Lesharo? Can it survive a few days of nightime dipping to freezing cold, if during the days are mild 50-60 deg Farenheit?
Sometimes I like to do some desert traveling, and pass over the mountains to get to the desert, and in the mountains here, it does get very cold, maybe in the 10's or 20's farenheit. If I stop and camp in the mountains for a few days and nights of winter cold, or if the high desert gets very cold below freezing at night, should we be worried about our water pipes and valves or holding tanks freezing near or below the floor, if we keep the heater on? Being in Southern California all my life, I have no experience/knowledge of winter freezing conditions and RV preparation of winterizing any RV. Any thoughts anyone, about those RV owners who are on the edges of warmer/colder temperate climate zones, or pass in and out of those zones and areas during the winter months, that they should be aware of?
Bill '88 gas 2.2L/auto LS
1988 LeSharo gas/automatic transmission
Bill Pieper

Unread postby Ray Charbonneau » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:56 am

Bill,
Great question!
I'm in central Florida, and its been below freezing here the past couple of nights. They're predicting flurries for Saturday???
I thought the same; Do I need to winterize? I'm going to check my Lesharos for leaks, but I'm hoping for the best.
Ray
Ray Charbonneau
Winter Haven, FL
"WinneBuick"
1988 Winnebago LeSharo w/ Buick 3.8
Ray Charbonneau

Unread postby Alan Bergman » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:12 pm

Hi Ray,
I would say that "Hoping for the best" is not prudent in this case due to the impending cold headed your way.
Our high here today is supposed to be around zero and go to minus 20 or so tonight. This is headed your way.
Here is what I would do in your case. Make sure your holding tank is empty first. Then make sure that the city water high pressure connection "drivers side one" is somehow empty of water. These connections tend to hold a little water because they have a built in valve in them and because they are on an outside wall will easily freeze up. A short hose connected to it and then just blow some air into it will remove the water. You can just blow with your mouth. You are just trying to clear the valve of water. Being just about all of the system is inside then I would put a small space heater in it and set it to a low setting. It won't take much heat inside the motorhome to keep everything from freezing in there. Freezing really is 32 degrees. Actually you could also just turn on your propane heater and set it to its lowest setting. You are only going to have to do this until the cold spell passes in a couple of days I think. Hope this helps.
Al
My "Cottage Car" is a 1985 Lesharo with a 3.8 Buick V6
Alan Bergman

Unread postby Rick H » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:01 pm

Bill,

When doing the city water connection, there should be a check valve to prevent back flow to the city water connection. If you have lungs of iron you might be able to blow hard enough to get through.
Here is what I do. I take a TyRap (Zipty, plastic ty) and push it in enough to unseat the check valve, then connect the hose, the TyRap fits nicely in the hose. Then put in the anti-freeze or blow through it and when done, remove the hose and pull out the TyRap.

Works for me, hope it helps to get that section clear of water.
Also if you no heat on, you may want to leave the taps open to allow for any expansion that may occur. The only water system outside the coach is the drains, a little RV or Plumbers anti-freeze is cheap insurance for those areas if you still have the heat on inside.

Rick
Rick and Cathy from Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
88 LeSharo 2.2L gas auto

We drive in 'NANAZBUS'.
Our grandchildren love it.
Rick H

Unread postby Rick H » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:19 pm

Hi All,

I just updated my winterizing procedure as today was the day to winterize the plumbing. The one under date Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:03 pm

Rick
Rick and Cathy from Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
88 LeSharo 2.2L gas auto

We drive in 'NANAZBUS'.
Our grandchildren love it.
Rick H

Previous