Bicycle folding or otherwise.

This forum is for everything else not related to the Le'Sharo, including: off-topic, general chat, look at my other rigs, happy birthday, ...

Bicycle folding or otherwise.

Unread postby Wanderer » Sat May 25, 2013 8:30 am

I intend to carry a folding bicycle that I will store inside of the LeSharo to use as recreational or alternate transportation when parked or in case of a break down. Because of the limited space there are very few folding bikes or take apart bicycles will take up the least amount of space if stored inside the vehicle.

The smallest folder I have found is the Brompton Folding bicycle but they are expensive (about $1500).

What alternate transportation do you carry or what type of bicycle folding or other wise do you consider best for your LeSharo?
Lou
Life is hard by the yard; but by the inch it’s a cinch.
1990 Winnebago LeSharo "Wanderer"
Chrysler 3.3L Extended roof
Delray Beach Fl
Wanderer

Re: Bicycle folding or otherwise.

Unread postby mloganusda » Mon May 27, 2013 11:42 am

Lou; You can find folding bicycles on EBay for about $150. Or Camping World sell then for about $300. They fold up small, but check them out at a local bicycle shop as the petals may be set back too far to make riding harder to pedal. This is what happened to me on the folding bicycle I purchased. Sold it on Craigslist later, as wife did not ride it and she had forgotten how to ride a bicycle.
Mike Logan
Formerly 1986 LeSharo 2.2 gas; 04' Rialta
Now 2017 Trend
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda

Articles: 7

Unread postby populuxe » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:42 pm

I find it way easier to install a trailer-hitch and use a conventional bike rack. We did it originally for the kid's bikes, but then found it to be nice having adult bikes you can hop on and run errands when your parked at a camp ground, etc.
Those folding bikes look damed sexy, but you still need to stow them inside--somewhere.
We found an inexpensive 4 bike rack make by BELL. They are a good company and when we had some rubber parts on it break down from the sun, they gladly sent us new ones at no charge. We keep the bikes locked up with a cable lock when not in use. We did have my wife's bike stolen off the rack when it was sitting at home in our driveway without a lock, now we ALWAYS lock them all the time.
Access to the back storage is not a problem. Visibility of taillights and or license plate could be.
Chris Christensen Wisconsin, USA
88 LeSharo
01 Villager minivan
80 Vespa
populuxe

Unread postby temphunter18 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:38 am

That's a good-looking bike you got there.
temphunter18