By-pass motoraide/rear heat Opinions?

This forum is to post any questions or problems relating to the ORIGINAL Renault Le'Sharo such as Mechanical, Electrical, gas 2.2 Engine, Transmission, Drive-Train, Brakes, etc.

By-pass motoraide/rear heat Opinions?

Unread postby JBird » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:30 am

I am going through some things on the rig over the winter and am seriously considering deleting the coolant lines to the rear of the coach for the rear heat/hot water tank. While i am sure this can be a source of crud in the coolant system due to the lengths of iron pipe in the run, i am hoping that getting rid of this loop will make the bleeding process for the coolant easier. (As if the BLEEDING ever stops on these rigs :lol: )

My only concern is that this will reduce the amount of coolant/surface area in the system and could contribute to overheating as a result.

Anyone done this bypass? I would appreciate your comments. Or even if you haven't I would appreciate your opinions!

Stay well all and happy hollidays!
JBird

Re: By-pass motoraide/rear heat Opinions?

Unread postby JBird » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:58 pm

Thanks. I appreciate acknowledgement of my membership in this elite club.

While I have your attention, anybody got a good replacement solution for the little 90 degree vacuum "fitting" on the valve cover of the bosch? I am of the impression this is the source of all things holy -I mean Vacuum - that controls the engine. Slides onto the metal tube protruding vertically from the back of the valve cover under the huge wad of wiring harness in front of the ignition module. 3/8 or so metal tube. I can come up with something I'm sure but always like to throw it out there to those who have carried the torch.

Much respect,
J

88 tasteful black stripe
JBird

Unread postby JBird » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:09 pm

Wow! I just had an ephiphamy after i posted that reply!

I think when i by pass that coolant loop I will plumb the lines up between the HW tank and the rear heater core and charge W/ anti-freeze, then when plugged in at a site can use HW tank heat through the 12v blower on the coach heater core! -Bow-

Just occurred to me! Cheers everyone!

J

88 gettin better all the time
JBird

Unread postby IdahoBob » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:27 pm

/
It's not shown where these lines come from in the engine, but you can assume it's parallel to the front heater core. You should be able just disconnect and cap them at the engine, and be done with it.

If you are worried about the change in flow, then do the old "heater core bypass". You can bypass the engine with a short hose that goes from the "out" back to the back and the "in" that returns from it.

If you think about it, the hot water tank can't provide any true cooling to the engine, other than being a huge heat sink at first. Once at temperature it can't cool anymore. The rear heater can do, but it's only a small load, similar to the front heater and isn't on all the time.

The idea of using the hot water with the heater core in the back isn't a bad idea. The only problems I see is that you would need many kilowatts of electricity to bring up the hot water tank and keep it at temp before you can use it, and that you would have to do this for an hour or two before you could used it.

It would make more sense to use the electricity more directly. Get the $40 heater and install it in the roof AC for basic heat or get a couple of small electric heaters with thermostats.

Cheaper, easier, and a heck of a less work and troubleshooting to get it going. <G>
. Mark (IdahoBob) - (and my 84 TD LS "Margot")
IdahoBob