Poor exceleration, backfires, "overheating." '87 Bosch

This forum is to post any questions or problems relating to the ORIGINAL Renault Le'Sharo such as Mechanical, Electrical, gas 2.2 Engine, Transmission, Drive-Train, Brakes, etc.

Poor exceleration, backfires, "overheating." '87 Bosch

Unread postby robhoward » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:53 pm

The problem is much worse when the engine is warm.

I have replaced the ENTIRE fuel system, cooling and exhaust sensors, and most of the ignition system. I also replaced the mass airflow sensor, fuel relay, and the (ECM) main computer.

I am STUMPED.

Does anyone know where the Ignition Control Module is and what it looks like? Other suggestions?
robhoward

Re: Poor exceleration, backfires, "overheating." '87 Bosch

Unread postby MelvinB » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:48 am

I know this reply is a little late, but if you're still having that problem , there are a number of things you should check for . From all the motors I've worked on you're symptoms are looking like a bad head gasket or valve leakage. Have you done a compression check ? Timing check ? Cracked insulators on the spark plugs ? Arcing from the spark plug wires ? Also what shape is the ignition cap and rotor in ?
If the head gasket is bad it will allow hot gases from one cylinder to seep into the one next to it causing poor acceleration backfiring , and overheating. Hope this helps .
Melvin
MelvinB