1988 gas 2.2L fuel pump replacement

This forum is to post any questions or problems relating to the ORIGINAL Renault Le'Sharo such as Mechanical, Electrical, gas 2.2 Engine, Transmission, Drive-Train, Brakes, etc.

1988 gas 2.2L fuel pump replacement

Unread postby idz » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:38 am

After sitting for several months my LeSharo would not start. Sprayed a bit of starting fluid into the intake manifold and it would fire a few revolutions so ignition system was working. Next tried jumpering pin 5 to 6 on diagnostic plug and heard no fuel pump noise so that is a problem. I then made a tee with a shraeder test port to insert into the pressure regulator line and verified zero pump output pressure. I ordered a pump and filter (Bosch F5030) and discovered the replacement pump had the wrong fittings. My LeSharo pump appears to the same as the Renault Fuego pump (Bosch 0580 464 023) with 1/2" ID hose inlet and 5/16"ID hose outlet. I ordered the correct pump and 5/16" hose for the high pressure side (SAE spec J30R9). Parts stores don't seem to know the difference between the high pressure injector hose and the low pressure SAE J30R6 fuel hose, use the wrong hose and you can have a fire!
Installation was fairly easy as there is enough ground clearance to get underneath the RV. I used a pinch clamp on the 1/2" inlet hose to minimize gas leakage and got the old pump removed and new one installed in a couple hours. RV now starts easily and fuel pressure is a nominal 42psi at idle. Total cost of hose, 3rd party pump, and filter was about $50.
Autopsy of old pump shows about 1/8" of wear on the armature and some moisture induce corrosion. :P :P
Idz 89 Gas 2.2L
idz

Re: 1988 gas 2.2L fuel pump replacement

Unread postby idz » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:28 am

Interesting observation with the new fuel pump. RV would idle rough and engine die if AC was turned on but with the new pump it runs fine. Old pump must have been dying for some time and maybe even was the original 1988 pump.
Idz 89 Gas 2.2L
idz