John Wright

Re: Western U.S. Rally I bought a Phasar in October. 15k mil

Unread postby John Wright » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:17 pm

I forgot that I did have the timing belt on my lesharo replaced when I
bought it. It had 62 thousand miles and that's the recommended time to
replace it.

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021, 4:03 PM John Wright via groups.io

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.
You automatically follow any topics you start or reply to.
View/Reply Online (#32900): https://Winnebago-LeSharo.groups.io/g/Tech/message/32900
Mute This Topic: https://groups.io/mt/80013085/5073343
Group Owner: Tech+owner@Winnebago-LeSharo.groups.io
Unsubscribe: https://Winnebago-LeSharo.groups.io/g/Tech/leave/8982947/572795793/xyzzy [james@bescribbled.com]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

--- 1winne_h-bodys 1611536400.M618125P6768Q2
John Wright

Unread postby info@lesharo.com » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:44 pm

I'm much more familiar with LeSharo's than Rialtas but I did work on
several Rialta's between 2003 and 2010 but decided I'd rather not deal with
them. Given the choice between a stock Rialta and a stock LeSharo I'd take
the Rialta but if the LeSharo has a Chrysler conversion? LeSharo!!

I just Friday hauled a stripped shell of a '95 Rialta to the recycler and
will haul another on Tuesday. I kept both rear axles which are drum brakes
and I'll have 8 wheels available. Most other parts were sold to BusDepot
(The VW bus guy).

After I get rid of the Rialtas I'm scrapping 5-7 LeSharo's of various
years. No good engines or auto transmissions are in this lot but I have a
good gas/5 speed in storage available together. Not much for good interior
stuff. Some good body parts, windows etc. If you want patch panels cut
off the shells I'll cut them and box them for $100/hour and add actual
freight, no charge for the part.

Dustin

--- 1winne_h-bodys 1611536400.M727500P6768Q3
info@lesharo.com

Unread postby David Peebles » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:03 pm

FYI: I have a driver's side door from a Lesharo. The glass is good, and there are no dings. But the latch is missing because I cannibalized it for my old Phasar. Also has the mirror stem, but no mirror. It's free if you pick up, or pay for shipping. I'm in Bellingham, WA.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#32902): https://Winnebago-LeSharo.groups.io/g/Tech/message/32902
Unsubscribe: https://Winnebago-LeSharo.groups.io/g/Tech/leave/8982947/572795793/xyzzy [james@bescribbled.com]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

--- 1winne_h-bodys 1611540000.M524375P3544Q1
David Peebles

Unread postby John Wright » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:07 pm

I would like to ad one more comment. Any vehicle that is pushed beyond its
power limits is going to be prone to breakdowns. With my 83 lesharo there
were times that I had to shift down to 2nd gear while traveling the Pacific
coast highway 1 in California. You just have to avoid lugging as well as
over winding. That's the key to the reason I had such good luck with my
lesharo.

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021, 4:03 PM John Wright via groups.io

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#32903): https://Winnebago-LeSharo.groups.io/g/Tech/message/32903
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

--- 1winne_h-bodys 1611540000.M618125P3544Q2
John Wright

Unread postby Anonymous » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:07 pm

Richard,
Welcome to the group. Feel free to ask questions. I hope owning one of these RV's turns out to be a good experience. You are sure to get stopped by folks asking of your RV. They are a popular size.

There are a number of items to take care of so that you can reduce the likelihood of problems

Check the roof seam. This is the one big leak issue of these. Once the roof area leaks - you've got a big project ahead of you as the ceiling 1/4" plywood is structural. You CAN NOT put any weight on the roof unless there are planks or sheets of 1/2" or thicker plywood spanning the ribs under any weight. The roof skin is only .012 thick aluminum - the same as aluminum roof flashing or 3 sheets of notebook paper. It is on top of foam and an occasional rib. If the seam has not been sealed with Eternabond tape - I strongly suggest that you get that corrected. Chances are if you have AC it needs a new gasket anyway so it is a good time to get it taken care of. If it still has the original roof vent - you can't imagine the improvement gained with a better fan such as a Fantastic Fan. The Eternabond tape should be placed in one piece from the opening under the AC unit to one from the vent fan. And to the front and the rear of the RV.I have bought a LeSharo last year that all they did was put some sort of tape between the AC and the vent cover. And ahaed and behind each. The roof leaked by the vent were they did not have tape. So close to doing the job right. Now it still needs to be repaired. I have a 92 LS that I got that was perfect but with a blown engine. While sitting a couple years the roof seam failed on me. Any work on top of the roof is fast and easy compared to ceiling work.

Inspect the engine cooling hoses. Unless they have been replaced they are at least 30 years old. We had one blow after the heat of allowing the engine to keep idle while getting gas raised the cooling temp. It blew as I pulled away from the pump. I spent the entire next day scrounging parts to be able to solder a manifold on the kitchen stove so I could replace the blown hose. The timing belt should be replaced every decade. It's a sucky job that is best done by removing the nose. It is actually easier that one might think.

Best
Ron

--- 1winne_h-bodys 1611543600.M836875P5088Q1
Anonymous

Unread postby Anonymous » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:25 pm

Hi John.
I am not much different from you in age. I've owned VW's, Fiats, Yugo's (actually still a Fiat), Toyota's - including motorhomes, Chrysler, Ford and Chevy cars and trucks. I changed my first engine - in the family 73 Vega in 1975. I am a licensed master mechanic in diesel engines and heavy duty trucks. I owned a concrete lock plant and mine and ran a fleet for 32 years. I joined my first LeSharo group 11 years ago after finding one on the back of a dealer lot with the roof caving in due to failed center seam. My wife wanted one right then and there.

I bought my first LeSharo 8 months later and know all too well some of the problems they can have. I had had to deal with many of them. We bought ours and didn't even make it 20 miles toward home before the first issue had me driving on the highway shoulder to the nearest exit ramp. Weeks later I though it was safe to use. We went camping 80 miles from home. Broke down in the campground. Chris Spencer was one of the first group members to answer my plea for help. I've watched and helped group members work on problem after problem.

You can not compare a mechanical fuel injection diesel with any of the various fuel injected gas units. There are less electrical problems with the diesel because simply - there are hardly any electrical components to fail on the engine compared to the gas engines. The manual transaxle is more dependable. Heck - you can have a total electrical failure and push start the diesel and drive it down the road. I have an 85 turbo diesel parts unit. I'd have gladly put that power train in my 85 gas. However - my 4'5" tall wife wanted an auto. She can reach the pedals - barely. I need an auto for peace of mind watching my wife drive off in one.

The LeSharo and Phasar units are fraught with problems. There is a good reason that Winnebago disowned them as soon as they could sell the rights to Mobility RV. The plain non-plated, non-weather resistant electrical connectors corrode very easily. I've seen green verdigris oozing out of the connectors on mine. The poor quality fuse panel bends and looses contact with the board edge connectors causing them to get hot and the polyethylene connector body melts causing loss of connection - or intermittent contact. I've dealt with that. How about the tachnometric relay - I had one of those fail 90 miles from home and on the way home from buying it.....

We put some 24,000 miles on our 85 LS in 7 years. I like the LeSharo/Phasar RV's but would not recommend one to anyone who is not an above average mechanic. Even being a mechanic just means you might work on it yourself instead of spending money helping a mechanic put his kids through college. It doesn't mean you'll make the round trip to your destination and back home without issue. Like I said - my wife wouldn't take ours if I wasn't going along - even wanting to use a tent instead of the RV when I was going along just so we'd get to do the things wehad planned..

I bought an 85 Toyota based Sunrader 2.5 years ago after the transaxle failed in the 85 LeSharo. Wifey takes that anywhere. We've made 2 trips to Michigan's upper peninsula with it and a number of smaller trips. Near as I can figure we put 5300 miles on it so far. It has yet to give us a problem. Only issue is wife brought it back from a 200 mile trip with a girlfriend with a fist sized hole through the sidewall of one of the inner dual tires. She claimed to not know how it happened.

I now also own a couple LeSharo conversions. We prefer the LS platform. Like i said - we like them but not to suggest to someone to buy one.

Best,
Ron

--- 1winne_h-bodys 1611547200.M555625P7996Q1
Anonymous

Unread postby RLR48 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:49 pm

--- 1winne_h-bodys 1611547200.M665000P7996Q2
RLR48

Articles: 1

PreviousNext