'88 PHASER GAS FUEL INJECTION CONTROLS

1winne_h-bodys Groups email list

'88 PHASER GAS FUEL INJECTION CONTROLS

Unread postby lazyvranch » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:33 am

ALL FOUR FUEL INJECTORS FIRE AT THE SAME TIME EVERY TIME THE CRANK REACHES TDC.
IS THERE A BETTER SYSTEM THAT FIRES ONE INJECTOR AT A TIME AVAILABLE FOR THIS MODEL
OR AN EASY CONVERSION FROM BOSCH OR MSD POSSIBLY HOLLEY?
LAZYVRANCH

--- 1winne_h-bodys 1559908805.M589233P3912Q1
lazyvranch

RE: '88 PHASER GAS FUEL INJECTION CONTROLS [1 Attachment]

Unread postby scott.edwards » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:00 am

It's time for a conversion! Why put more effort into such an underpowered engine?

My 2c, Cheers, Scott

--- 1winne_h-bodys 1559912404.M573608P1492Q1
scott.edwards

Re: '88 PHASER GAS FUEL INJECTION CONTROLS

Unread postby lazyvranch » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:56 am

Hey Scott;
It will cruise at 70 mph down the interstate.
Conversion to what?
I'm looking for the next generation of Renault, Bosch, ignition system that controls the fuel injectors
and only fires the injector that is in the cylinder that is at TDC intake stroke.
Thank you for your reply.
I couldn't open your attachment.
lazyvranch

--- 1winne_h-bodys 1560337205.M077375P3576Q1
lazyvranch

Unread postby scott.edwards » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:10 am

These units were never designed to cruise at 70 mph..... 55 was the design point. You may be able to do 70, but the drivetrain will retire early.

100hp is barely reasonable to move 7000 lbs down a highway..... 150-200 is more reasonable.

100 lb/ft of torque is the real issue. It just is not realistic to think this torque will be reasonable to move 7k lbs up a hill for any sustained time....... 200-250 lb/ft is more reasonable.

I'm installing a TDI diesel into mine, 145 HP, 250 lb/ft torque. In-line, just like the original driveline.

Most others are installing a GM or Chrysler drivetrain into theirs..... V6 gas

I guess you could update the fuel and spark system on your engine, but it's already at it's limit(the transmission) so why go there? I guess if you are a tinkerer it's a good project, the problem is, there is no certainty it will work, and the money invested could be going into a conversion.

My 2c

Cheers, Scott

--- 1winne_h-bodys 1560348005.M551000P1368Q1
scott.edwards

Unread postby lazyvranch » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:05 pm

Hello Scott;
You bring up some valid points, all of which I am aware of and have experience working around

some.

Grossly underpowered, weak gears in transmission, original manufacturer French with several ownership changes in the past 30 years, a 31 year old vehicle, fuses not common in US, finding common parts replacements, "C" rated 14" highway tires hard to find, you can't go into any parts store and ask for any parts for a 1988 Winnebago Itasca Phaser,and a few others.
You are installing a new engine and, I assume transmission? That will cost more than I paid for my vehicle and doesn't change all the other shortcomings.
From what I have heard the Renault chassis was manufactured for USA in France as the base for delivery vans and they were built for much longer than Winnebago bought them.
You are more connected to the maintainance of these vehicles than me.
Is there a 15 or 16 or 16.5" rim that fits the four bolt pattern on these vehicles?
Do you have a speedometer cable from your vehicle?
I found the distributer cap and brake master cylinder looking through Renault parts pictures.
Did Renault build any other vehicle using this engine and transmission, manual or automatic?
I bought it because of it's size, it fits in my garage's 10' door, the four cylinder engine gas fuel economy,
and the manual transmissions simplicity.
I appreciate your comments and hope you will help me to extend the life of this vehicle another 30 years.
Val ; ' )
lazyvranch

--- 1winne_h-bodys 1560704404.M207250P5660Q1
lazyvranch

Unread postby 'Scott Edwards' » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:04 pm

Hi Val,

When the engine and transmission has been changed over, there really are no major shortcomings.

I never ask for parts locally, I buy most of them from overseas......

It's really hard to get this king of machine for less than 10k, by any other manufacturer...... The main reason I feel the LeSharo is good value.

Tires, are always available, you just need to look a little harder, and it may not be a next day thing.

There are NO other rims of a larger diameter that will fit these hubs..... 4 x 160mm bolt pattern. More than likely I'll just pull the hubs and have new ones machined to fit something else....but I'm not in any hurry for that as the 14's are fine for now....and the last 10 years or so since I have owned mine.

The engine is the same.... almost the same as the Renault Fuego. The Transmission is similar to nothing else, only on the Renault Trafic. The 5 speed manual transmission changes everything....you get a lot more control with that transmission..... and they are more reliable, except the rear bearing.....if it is original, at one point it should be replaced as they installed one with a plastic race originally.

I carry a spare gas (accelerator) cable and have a spare speedo cable for mine.....There may be one on my parts mobile to sell if that is what you are asking. If the inside pc is the problem, repair kits are available at auto supply stores.

Great little RV's..... well worth owning.

I suggest you join the Lesharo Owners group on Yahoo, and dig into the files section..... there is no library as complete as this one for the LeSharo......anywhere!

Cheers, Scott

--- 1winne_h-bodys 1560794404.M183536P7352Q1
'Scott Edwards'

Unread postby lazyvranch » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:06 am

Hello Scott!
I have heard about the rear bearing in the final drive, do you have a part number for that?
Is it an easy change,?
Also the rear transmission mount is broken, currently held down with a cable.
Is that part available?
My speedocable is broke in a couple places, Center cable is broke in half and housing is broke
at speedometer end. I would like to buy a new one and need your help doing that.
My parts stores are absolutely useless for a foreign vehicle 30 years old.
4 x 160mm bolt pattern is just slightly larger than the common 8bolt 3/4 ton pickup pattern.
Not sure what the bolt circle dia. is. or the center hole. Could a custom 3/4 ton rim have the
4x160mm pattern added? that would solve the tire issua.
How do you have access to overseas parts? Can I do that or do I have to go through you?
(Through you is ok with me if it's ok with you)
As far as I can tell the LaSharo and Phaser are identical under the Winnebago body.
I think I am in the Yahoo LeSharo owners group but have no idea how to access its resources.
Help on that would also be appreciated.
I am making the best of what I have. When I fix the few remaining problems I will have a reliable
and dependable vehicle for seeing the country.
I am still trying to update the fuel injection control so they fire individually, any thoughts on that?
Thank you again for the information.
Val ; ' )

--- 1winne_h-bodys 1561215604.M765625P1756Q1
lazyvranch

Unread postby RonOhler » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:53 am

To my knowledge all LeSharo/Phasars have a cable wrapped around the rear trans mount. It has to do with a safety requirement. The rims are stud piloted on them. If you look at one you can see that there is no provision for hub centering.

--- 1winne_h-bodys 1561298404.M515625P3524Q1
RonOhler

Unread postby scott.edwards » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:15 pm

Hi Val,

I've been away for a few days.....

I was referring to the rear bearing in the transmission!

The rear mounts are available, try spareto.com, look up a 1991 trafic with 2.2l engine..... you should find the mount.

The speedo cable is custom modified by Winnebago....you can buy the single one pc stock cable, then have the cable spliced and have screw connectors added so you can refit the cruise control counter...... or call Mobllity, or try lesharo.com, or call Robert Marleur in Montreal...... one of them will have this cable, more than likely.

I don't know anything in reality about the 8 bolt truck rims....close is not good enough, the bolt mount diameter needs to be identical.....I doubt there is room to add 4 more on the 8 bolt wheels.......but you never know. I'll probably just remove the hubs front and rear and have new ones machined to fit something easier to find here when I find I just cannot get tires here.

Spareto.com, you buy direct. I do have some spare parts I offer out the odd time, but I'm not a parts supplier!

LeSharo and Phasar are the same, the colour options and some interior fitments are slightly upgraded on the Phasar.

Yahoo groups.... on a computer, with a larger screen than a phone, look on the left, near the top...there are a line of options, fiddle around, eventually you will find files....once you do, you will be blown away with the info available!

As for the fuel injection system..... that is no minor undertaking...... do looooots of homework and research before you spend a dime on this venture.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

It's all my 2c..... so take it as you will.

Cheers, Scott

--- 1winne_h-bodys 1561510804.M537000P1532Q1
scott.edwards

Unread postby Patty Winn » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:16 pm

I would like to sell my 1990 for parts. It does not run, I bought so many parts from Mobility but still could not get it to run. I can not find anyone who can work on it so I am tired of it sitting. How much do you think I could sell it for? I live in Northern CA, Santa Rosa & will only sell if they take the whole thing. I appreciate your help.

Patty Winn 707-838-4786 pattywinn@sbcglobal.net

--- 1winne_h-bodys 1561518004.M240125P2332Q1
Patty Winn

Next