timing belt replacement

Lesharo-Owners Groups email list

timing belt replacement

Unread postby bushboismier » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:16 pm

dave 88 bosch 2.2 has anyone in the group done this I have some questions.
is there a pilot or locate hole in the crank or cam and can it be done without removing the crank pulley?

--- lesharo-owners 1465610401.M356750P2912Q1
bushboismier

Re: timing belt replacement

Unread postby Scott Edwards » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:38 am

There should be a dot on the crank..... see the service manual, as it's all in there......yours is the type 2 procedure, cam viewing window in top front and back of timing cover
Scott Edwards

Unread postby Bush Boismier » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:14 pm

Dave 88 2.2 bosch.I went by the book there appears to a keyway on the bottom crank gear it says to line that up with a bolt above it.this bolt is off to the left of center a bit.the top one is clearly marked.I dont know what size spark plug socket this thing takes but it did not feel right.it only feels like it is only going on about a 1/16 of an inch.since it is a non interference motor i lined up the gears and figured the worst case scenario i would only be out 180 degrees.i turned the key and it started up.i put it back together and took it for a test drive i dont know if its just me but it doesnt feel quite right.i am thinking it may be one tooth off.does anyone know if they will run if they are one tooth off?and also if the spark plugs are an oddball size.? i want to bring it to t.d.c.and check the marks.

--- lesharo-owners 1466366401.M807000P392Q1
Bush Boismier

Unread postby Scott Edwards » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:47 pm

Dave,

They are a tapered spark plug..... the PO of mine had gasketed ones in mine.
Scott Edwards

Unread postby Bush Boismier » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:02 pm

wow tapered plugs never heard of that.that explains that.i might take it out on the highway and see what it will do.thx for the quick response Scott.for the love of a lesharo.lol

--- lesharo-owners 1466370002.M260125P1572Q1
Bush Boismier

Unread postby Bush Boismier » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:00 am

hey Scott did you mean the hex head is tapered or the plug seat.?I tried a few different thin wall sockets no luck.

--- lesharo-owners 1466431201.M760125P3900Q1
Bush Boismier

Unread postby Scott Edwards » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:14 am

The seat is tapered.... socket should just be the smaller diameter one.... check with a mirror... you may be a
Scott Edwards

Unread postby Bush Boismier » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:17 am

will do thx.

--- lesharo-owners 1466434802.M025750P1340Q1
Bush Boismier

Unread postby Bush Boismier » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:44 pm

timing belt 88 bosch.got the plug out brought up to T.D.C the keyway on the crank sprocket was at 12 oclock.the manual is poor for directions it says line up with the bolt above it.the bolt above it is slightly to the left it ran poorly there took it out on the highway had trouble going over 50mph.i would suggest anyone doing this job to put it at 12 oclock on both sprockets T.D.C.took it back out its running great now.i sure dont like doing things twice though.thx Scott.

--- lesharo-owners 1466636402.M236224P2716Q2
Bush Boismier

Unread postby Scott Edwards » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:59 pm

Well that is great news! I guess it means that this proves these engines are non interference type! The other few that were saying they needed a new head probably after the belt broke probably had the garage do the initial belt replacement repair wrong!

Enjoy your ride.... and try to find a cover for your timing belt...... maybe Larry
Scott Edwards

Next