Lost brakes after a week of sitting, puddle under rear drive

Lesharo-Owners Groups email list

Lost brakes after a week of sitting, puddle under rear drive

Unread postby lists » Fri May 22, 2015 1:51 pm

Drove down to my mom's and our '89 Bosch sat for 6 days. When I went to leave this morning, no brake pressure, and then I noticed a puddle under the rear driver side wheel. I know I probably need to replace the rear cylinders, but is there any way I can get home? I can't really wait 5 days for parts to get here. I tried bleeding all the brakes and ran a full large bottle of brake fluid through her and still nothing. I keep getting air bubbles on that rear driver side. They go away for a while, and then all of a sudden a bunch more belch out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Man, I don't know how many more times I can be stranded before I just give up on this thing.

--- lesharo-owners 1432321201.M312250P2848Q1
lists

Re: Lost brakes after a week of sitting, puddle under rear d

Unread postby lists » Fri May 22, 2015 5:54 pm

Have cylinders on the way from Mobility - overnight Saturday delivery. $$$$$. Gulp. But at least I'll be able to get home.

--- lesharo-owners 1432335601.M859125P3180Q1
lists

Unread postby David Martin » Fri May 22, 2015 6:11 pm

Since 80% of braking is on front brakes you could pinch off or block off
rear brake lines and drive with just front brakes. This is not a
recommended technique, and might require you to later replace any pinched
off lines when you later replace the leaking wheel cylinder. If you can
find a way to remove the rear brake lines and plug those openings that
would be a better approach that would not damage any brake lines. But using
vice grips to pinch off the lines might be easier.

--- lesharo-owners 1432339201.M437250P2340Q2
David Martin

Unread postby lists » Fri May 22, 2015 8:14 pm

Thanks for the tip. If for some reason the new cylinders don't solve the problem, I'll definitely do that.

--- lesharo-owners 1432346401.M749750P4000Q1
lists

Unread postby Larry Sr » Sat May 23, 2015 2:41 am

There is an EMERGENCY way to do a very temp fix to get home. First, if the fluid is coming from the wheel cylinder we can isolate the leaking part of the system.. "Member that these things are old and there could be a rust through on one of the lines. Since your H-body is an 89, there is one steel line going from the M. cyl. to the brake pressure reducer near the center of the rear axle. once through the pressure reducer it goes into a brake hose , thence to the T fitting on the axle then through steel lines going to the backing plates and the wheel cylinders.
If a steel tube or the wheel cylinder is leaking one way to isolate the leaking cylinder is to remove the steel line, then using vice grip pliers, crush the line, fold and continue, crushing and folding till fluid can no longer pass through the line.. Re- service the master cylinder, check to see if you can get brake pressure without leaks. You can get home on three brakes.....BUT DRIVE CAREFULLY. True, this is Southern engineering at its best but I have used it several times to get back home. I suggest that in your on-board parts kit you carry several metric plugs that will fit the brake lines, so should this happen, it would not be necessary to crush the line to stop fluid loss.
lsrschoppe@aol.com

--- lesharo-owners 1432378803.M374750P2892Q1
Larry Sr

Unread postby lists » Sat May 23, 2015 1:57 pm

Live and learn! I would have done that if I had it to do over.

Anyway, I got the leaky side cylinder replaced. My question was can I drive home like that or do I need to replace the other side as well? I know they're supposed to be replaced in pairs. Since crimping one side will work, however, I'm thinking I can drive home as is and then replace the other side after I get home. Am I right?

Going out to put the wheel back on and hopefully make my way home!

--- lesharo-owners 1432407601.M234125P4056Q1
lists

Unread postby RefrigMan » Sat May 23, 2015 2:19 pm

absolutely no need to replace anything other than the leaking side cylinder for now. Only reason to replace 2nd one is it is as old as the one that failed and is somewhat likely to fail in near future. But you should have no problem getting it home after replacing the bad one and bleeding the system. It just means you will also have to do a second bleeding after your next project'. Have a good drive home.

--- lesharo-owners 1432411201.M687250P904Q1
RefrigMan

Unread postby lists » Sat May 23, 2015 2:22 pm

Thanks all! Much appreciated.

--- lesharo-owners 1432411201.M812250P904Q3
lists

Unread postby BANDIT2 » Sat May 23, 2015 3:54 pm

Check your linings haven't been contaminated by the fluid, they'll never work as well again even if you degrease them.
Getting new linings bonded to the steel shoes was a cost effective solution for me in the UK.
Restoring a 1986 Lesharo TD[now finished and on the road! check out the restoration]http://lesharorv.com/viewtopic.php?t=1713
If my posts seem short and to the point-its because I type with one finger. Running sweet on home made bio.
Chris [in the UK]
BANDIT2