85 TD heater valve

This forum is for the diesel powered Le'Sharo;
aspirated, non-aspirated and turbo engines.

85 TD heater valve

Unread postby nightdog » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:35 am

I have a 1985 2.1L diesel I just purchase. the heater valve assembly has been removed and the hose is bypassing the cab heater. Needing to replace the heater valve but unable to find a replacement part.
Where can I find a replacement heater valve? Can ever one tell me? Please help.
nightdog

Re: 85 TD heater valve

Unread postby IdahoBob » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:29 pm

/
My '84 TD, "Margot" came with her heater core bypassed like yours. Fortunately it came with a spare. Unfortunaly the previous had a stud broken off...

Old cars, am I right? <G>

For parts, I've had good luck with WinnebagoParts.com

http://www.winnebagoparts.com/order-contact/winnebago-renault/

Busy people, know these old beasts well. Call them at 1-800-933-7742.

But that isn't your only path of repair. This valve could be replaced by putting a nipple on the heater core, and use a cable to control it...

For example, like one of these at Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Four-Seasons-74828-Heater-Valve/dp/B001B7BUAU/ref=asc_df_B001B7BUAU/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241948264947&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9450144485303490391&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1014046&hvtargid=pla-451703585737&psc=1

It would be much better than the POS that is the stock Renault one, but would probably require pulling the core to do the work to put on the nipple.

Knowing what I know now, I'd probably put that core out, and either add the nipple or go to a radiator shop and find a near replacements (with nipples) and use the external valve.... those have been used in stock cars since the 1950's, and still used in a lot of other places (marine, tractor, etc.)

Plus, since these all have what I like to call "Lego Dashboards", getting into the other side of the cable is trivial... although I think you could get by with the original cable on the new valve.
. Mark (IdahoBob) - (and my 84 TD LS "Margot")
IdahoBob