rotted ceiling panels

This forum is for anything related to the Le'Sharo coach itself. Anything Winnebago Coach area: wiring, house battery, Roof, plumbing, appliances, problems and/or other ideas or suggestions. Anything that doesn't deal with the engine or transmission.

rotted ceiling panels

Unread postby arcosine » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:56 pm

Hi,

Has anyone dealt with rotted/ water damaged ceiling panels? I am tearing out the damaged foam and will glue in new 3/4 xps and then glue 3/16 sanded underlayment over that. 3/16 is the thinnest I could find. I will screw in the ends down over the corner extrusions with self drilling/tapping screws, too hard to try to fit it underneath.

Tony
arcosine

Re: rotted ceiling panels

Unread postby IdahoBob » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:15 pm

/
I had a similar problem with my 1984 with leaks from the house air vent over the years that distoried the thin plywood. After tearing into it to patch it... and tearing into it... and more, it turned out the first 1/3 of the ceiling had to be replaced.

I used this instead of just thin wall paneling, as it's waterproof.
4 ft. x 8 ft. White .090 FRP Wall Board
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Glasliner-4-ft-x-8-ft-White-090-FRP-Wall-Board-MFTF12IXA480009600/100389836?MERCH=REC-_-searchViewed-_-NA-_-100389836-_-N

I "glued and screwed" it with 3m "90" as well as a row of #6 stainless steel "wood screws" along a couple of the wooden stringers between the Styrofoam insulation. Also put a lot of Dicor self-leveling goop around the vent, as well as redid the sealing on the inside with regular RTV Silicon. (Overkill is under rated ).

Someday I'll post pictures.
. Mark (IdahoBob) - (and my 84 TD LS "Margot")
IdahoBob