Mystery Sensor in engine block underneath fuel injectors

Questions or problems on your Lesharo.

Mystery Sensor in engine block underneath fuel injectors

Unread postby zef » Fri May 14, 2021 12:57 pm

Hello! I'm looking for some help identifying a sensor that I haven't been able to figure out so far!

I have a 1989 Bendix that I'm doing some work on and I spotted a broken sensor just below the air intake manifold, right in the middle between the second and third cylinders.

As I was working on some other stuff, I noticed that the connector was broken and I was feeling down inside to see what was going on and unfortunately I broke it off entirely. I'm not sure if it was operating properly in the first place.

I have the fuel rail, injectors, and spark plugs out here, and part of the air system out too, as you can see in some of the pictures linked below.

Can anyone help me identify this sensor? Help would be much appreciated! I have both the main service manual as well as the Bendix one. I've searched and looked hard, but I haven't had any luck identifying it yet.

Here's an image gallery that shows the details:
https://imgur.com/a/JF9PNae

I'm still trying to get it out, but it's pretty hard to access so I may have to remove the whole intake manifold, I think.

Thank you!
zef

Re: Mystery Sensor in engine block underneath fuel injectors

Unread postby zef » Fri May 14, 2021 4:00 pm

After further investigation, I've determined that it's a knock sensor.

The Bendix manual has a section (pages 24-25) that talks about the knock sensor, but says nothing about its location, and I couldn't find it on any illustrations that include it either, besides the wiring diagram.

Anyway, I tested continuity between the sensor connector and the ECU connector, where it connects to pin 31 — see page 8 — so it's the knock sensor.

I was able to get it out without removing the manifold, but it was tight. Requires a 24mm socket.

Now, I need to find the part number, which I'm also having trouble with...

Edit: I also just found a bit about removal of the knock sensor on page 60, too bad the Bendix manual PDF is not searchable like the main service manual is!
zef