How to Install Power Windows In A LeSharo

This is where the Le'Sharo Book of Knowledge will be compiled along with other How Do We Do that stuff.

Mostly for Tools, Tricks and Technical Tips that apply to the LeSharo itself irrespective of Drive Train. this forum will be used for PDF files.

Unread postby Trafic » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:15 pm

This is a very easy modification that will take less than a day.

The hardest part is to buy an after market power window kit that will work. Luckily I have done the research for you. The best power window kit is the kind that drives the windows with two cables per motor as they are flexible, can be twisted, and have ample torque with little noise. The one that I used was the Sobo Lock (about $80). These units, which are quieter (60db) than the Spal, are designed for European cars; they include crank adapters for Renault, and are more adaptable for any install. The kit has general instructions, with those and this write up; you should have no problems.

Here is a link to one currently listed on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Universal-Power-Window-Kit-2-Door-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ130192588133QQihZ003QQcategoryZ94829QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

First remove the crank handle, door panels, and the screws from the window crank gear where the handle goes. To mount the motors on the LeSharo you have to cut a circular relief above the factory door crank area on each door to allow clearance for the new mechanism. Installation is simple; using the provided crank adapters, select the correct one that fit the window crank, mount the adapter over your existing window crank mechanism (in place of the handle). The remote gear end of the window motor is placed over the adapter and crank gear, and then it is secured with screws and a bracket to the door. The window crank gear is replaced and the screws tightened. ♦The motor end is mounted in a remote position and also secured to the door with a bracket and screws. When inserting the motor twist the unit so that the drive wires form an X, this will allow the motor to fit in the proper position. Now lubricate everything with a white lithium grease. The wiring is done and the provided switch holders are mounted on the door panels which cover the existing crank handle hole. I dud not use the factory panels but made my own custom door panels but this should be no problem. Study the pictures for reference.

Last edited by Trafic on Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Trafic

Unread postby Ray Charbonneau » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:21 am

Lou,
There again, you've posted and shown us all how to improve our coaches. This idea is another example of how we all can benefit from shared knowledge. BTW, I wish we could've gotten together on your cross-Florida trip. Maybe next time. I'm also hanging on to the 2.2 engine I removed for later disassembly. I'll keep you in mind at that point. Nice modification and nice pics.
Thanks, Ray C.
Last edited by Ray Charbonneau on Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray Charbonneau
Winter Haven, FL
"WinneBuick"
1988 Winnebago LeSharo w/ Buick 3.8
Ray Charbonneau

Unread postby Trafic » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:58 pm

Ray Charbonneau wrote:Lou,
There again, you've posted and shown us all how to improve our coaches. This idea is another example of how we all can benefit from shared knowledge. BTW, I wish we could've gotten together on your cross-Florida trip. Maybe next time. I'm also hanging on to the 2.2 engine I removed for later disassembly. I'll keep yopu in mind at that point. Nice modification and nice pics.
Thanks, Ray C.

Believe me Ray I was tempted to contact you and Jon so I could visit but since I went with the wife and daughter I did not want to impose. I will be taking another trip very soon, this time I will see if we can get together if only for a quick visit.
Lou
Trafic

Unread postby Phasar » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:45 pm

Thanks so much for that!
Phasar

Unread postby Phasar » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:48 am

I purchased the power window kit through the aforementioned dealer. It did take a while before it finally arrived. Just waiting on some better weather to do the install. Thanks again for the link and inspiration.
Phasar

Re: How to Install Power Windows In A LeSharo

Unread postby tsongololo » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:45 am

Sorry for the necropost -

I'm installing power windows. As far as I can tell I don't have the relays. How is it supposed to be connected to power? If I'm not pre-wired, what gauge do I use and where do I attach it?

I used this kit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0779Q38R4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Basically I looped the cables around the bottom side of the speaker cut-out, and mounted the motor directly to the inside of the upper forward corners of the door. Works great when connected directly to a battery! Mounting the motor was a challenge. I made a template, drilled the first hole where I thought it should be, mounted it, attached the template to the door, drilled the second hole, and mounted it with two screws with the template underneath the screw heads. I marked & drilled the holes. One worked perfectly, the second was satisfactory. A few angled screws but it's secure!
tsongololo